I just got back to the studio after 12 days away from Chicago, teaching a monoprint class in the Interlochen adult arts programs. It always takes a few days to get back into the rhythm of the studio, not to mention all the ferrying of materials from car to studio, the putting away, the sorting out, and so on.
The first thing I did once I'd stopped fiddling around and aligning all the pencils on my desk was to lay out the test monoprints that I created in the class while doing demonstrations. The largest one has several layers of additive monoprint using brushes and brayers. The small dark greyish one is a more advanced version of the same layering. The one above is a print I took from my inking palette. Next to that, at the top, is a viscosity monoprint with abstract shapes, then a viscosity monoprint starting with a subtractive layer, and finally a mulitlayered print using thinned ink.
I probably won't develop any of these further, but I didn't want to throw them away just yet. Some of them might end up collaged onto a panel. The rest can serve as reminders if I decided to do better versions in the same technique.
Sort of like this, actually. I made five panels, each one 9" x 12", by layering lots of acrylic gels and modelling pastes and embedded collage elements, painting over several thin washes of acrylic paint, drawing with oil pastel, sealing the whole lot with acrylic medium, painting the backs black. The dimensions are the same as an ink painting/prints accordion book I included in my recent show. So I used an awl and a hammer to punch holes in two of the panels, glued one of the pages of the accordion book to the inside (rear) of one of them, then sewed the two panels together with thick thread. The back looks like this:
Very thickly textured, great fun to make.
This is my studio blog. I also have another blog, Praeterita, which contains more general art-related posts.